The amount of consults I’ve had over the last 6+ years, I hear people wanting to drop ‘X” amount of kgs. Then when we go deeper into how their sleep, nutrition, stress levels and current exercise routine are, we find out what’s really happening in their lives. It’s a mess!
They’re poor sleepers, eat infrequently, malnourished and under-eat, stressed out, have chronic conditions they may be taking meds for, and sporadically exercise.
When I bring these issues up, and ask them what needs to change, they usually answer with an interesting response of “I need to do more cardio”, or “I need to do yoga”… something along those lines.
My response is
“Get healthy first!”
To them this is obvious, but not until we break it down to what that means on a daily /weekly basis, it’s a lot more that needs to change.
What I mean by getting healthy is;
- Achieve 6+ hours of uninterrupted sleep
- 7L of water (females) per day
- 3 meals per day with protein at each meal time
- Leave work at work, don’t take it home and certainly don’t take it into the bedroom
- Find ways to de-stress i.e. 15 min walk at lunchtime, go play with the kids when you get home
- Eat a diet vibrant in colours and whole foods most of the time
- Avoid alcohol – it makes your sleep worse and makes it harder to drop fat
- Strength training 2-3x week, whole body for 1 hr
Stop avoiding the obvious things that need to improve and do it on a daily basis consistently.
I have clients who have dropped massive amounts of weight just following these guidelines.
It’s not difficult.
Stop looking for the magic pill…there isn’t one.
You need to consistently do the work to get the results you’re looking for.
Do you need help getting your heath and fitness results? Book a FREE consultation here.